This long sloooow march through the colder months often saps my spirits and ambition (cue The Dream Academy’s Life in a Northern Town). It is much easier to spring out of bed when the sun’s rays embrace us early. I am sharing a short list of things that carry me through the winter doldrums, and would love to know what works for you, too.
1) Coffee. Coffee. And more coffee. I tried to give it up once and lasted until 10:30am. Some things we must accept about ourselves and that I need coffee to survive is, for me, one of them.
2) My Quoddy Twin Strap Shearling Boots. Gorgeous they are not, but let’s be honest, neither are Uggs. And these are made by hand in Maine, and guaranteed for life.
3) Flowers. I almost always have them on my bedside table and in the foyer. An instant mood lifter, fresh bouquets or potted bulbs (loving fragrant hyacinth right now) are a reminder that things will, indeed, turn green again.
4) Regularly scheduled workouts with friends. Again, it’s easy to jump out of bed and throw on your running shoes when you don’t have to layer up and freeze your way through the first half mile. When I’m tempted to throw the covers back over my head and skip it, I won’t when I know there is someone counting on me for motivation, too.
5) Casual, intimate dinner parties. I love hosting laid back dinners in winter, when no one feels like going out. There is nothing better than sitting elbow to elbow with good friends over a rustic meal, then cozying up around the fire place for great wine, dessert, and conversation. (And yes, I actually baked that apple pie pictured below.)
6) My evening glass of wine. Okay, if we are being completely honest with each other, this ritual occurs during all seasons. But in the winter it is always red.
So tell me, what brings you pleasure throughout the cold season?
image 1 via www.nataliefrenchphotography.co.uk, image 3 via citified.blogspot.com, image 4 via vintagealbum.blogspot.com