I have to admit, frosting these muffins is completely gilding the lily. But I had to do it. You see, my daughter became addicted to the pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting at Einsteins, so I had to come up with a frosted version. Be honest – you can’t go naked next to something wearing frosting and win by comparison. Not possible! Does that mean they are technically a cupcake? I say no – that way there is no guilt when having one for breakfast. But if you’re feeling like a straight arrow, skip the frosting and just give each one a sprinkling of demerara or coarse sugar (for a little crunch and sparkle) before you pop them in the oven . They are seriously delicious either way.
Spiced Pumpkin Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
for the muffins –
- 2 cups all purpose or gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum only if making gluten free
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- demarara or coarse sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 standard sized muffin cups with paper baking liners.
- Whisk flour, xanthan gum (if gf), baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, nutmeg and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining muffin ingredients.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Divide batter into the 12 muffin cups (about 1/3 cup batter in each).
- Sprinkle with demarara or coarse sanding sugar if you are skipping the frosting.
- Place muffin tins on a sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wood toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
- Let cool completely before frosting (recipe to follow).
for the frosting –
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger (optional)