One of the best parts about a coastal vacation is the abundance of locally caught seafood, and we enjoyed it almost every night during our recent sailing trip. Returning home, I vowed to make fish a more prominent part of our diet (much to the dismay of my teenaged son, who already views our once-a-week salmon as excessive fish consumption). I took inspiration from the bluefish we caught during our trip to the Vineyard Continue reading
If you’ve been craving bright, fresh, seasonal ingredients that taste like Spring, I have the perfect salad for you. Sweet strawberries, creamy avocado and crisp shaved fennel are layered on delicate bibb lettuce leaves and dressed with a lime-ginger-mint vinaigrette. Finished with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of sea salt, this salad makes a light, satisfying lunch or delightful first course for a Spring inspired menu.
Strawberry Avocado Salad with Fennel and Mint
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus more for drizzle (replace honey with 2 teaspoons agave if making vegan)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves torn into large pieces
- 1 small fennel bulb, fronds removed and shaved thin with a knife or on a mandolin
- 2 avocados, halved and sliced thin
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries, sliced
- Whisk oil, lime juice, honey, ginger, shallot and mint together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer fennel, strawberries and avocado on lettuce leaves on four plates and dress with vinaigrette. Drizzle each salad with honey and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt. Garnish with fresh mint.